Thursday, August 2, 2012

Swissfully in Love

Chapel Bridge, Luzern
I'm in love with Switzerland. With mountains that rival the Rockies and glacier lakes scattered as liberally as pigeons in Paris, it's impossible for any nature lover to deny the pristine beauty of Switzerland. We stayed in Luzern, an expensive city located right on the shores of a crystal clear mountain lake. One of the cities' famous landmarks is the Chapel Bridge, a large bridge decorated on either side with ornate, blooming flower boxes. The inside of the bridge contains panel after elaborate panel which illustrate the cities' founding story. The panels have miraculously survived multiple fires that left the bridge in ruins.

Fondue in Switzerland
Our first night in Luzern we only had enough time to explore the massive flea market along the lake's coast, cross the beautiful Chapel Bridge and have a perfect fondue dinner. Alexa, Justine, Beth and I ordered 2 cheese fondues with bread and potatoes. Apparently it is customary in Switzerland to also get a bowl of vodka with your fondue, you dip your bread/potatoes into the vodka first and then into the cheese.

On our way home from dinner we were originally too full for any more adventures but, as continues to happen in Europe, we were tempted with local festivities. This time the name of the festival alone was enough to lure us in and the funky bass line encouraged us to stay long enough for a couple cold, German Blonde beers. The "Blue Balls Festival" was free to enter and brimming with young, enthusiastic Germans. The people watching alone was worth the time and the music definitely impressed me. The fact that the whole event took place on the coast of a mountain lake in the Swiss Alps placed the funky gathering near the top of my festival list.

I arose the next morning excited to depart on an all day hike in the Alps. I packed my bag with some fruit and bread that I borrowed from our hotel's breakfast, water, camera, and my much loved copy of Game of Thrones. Caught up in my enthusiasm for hitting the mountains, Justine and Alexa joined my hiking party and the three of us set out to take the bus to the base of Mount Pilatus. A majority of our  group signed up for an optional excursion this day in which they took a cog railway to the top of Mount Pilatus to take photos and drink hot chocolate. I, however, have a deep seeded urge to "earn my view" and I strapped on my hiking boots determined to get pictures as good as those "cheaters" could get.

Jayhawk siting in the
Swiss Alps
We quickly learned that despite being extremely organized and cleanly, the Swiss don't really know how to label trails. We back-tracked and second guessed ourselves for the first portion of our hike until we finally decided that the ultimate destination doesn't really mater, it's the journey the counts. We deeply inhaled the air, had a picnic on a fallen log, trespassed multiple times, and mooed at cows. By some crazy twist of wandering luck we stumbled across what can only be Jayhawk, wearing roller skates and gleefully smiling at his view of the Swiss Alps. Rock Chalk!


Fondue round 2: Chocolate
We returned to Luzern exhausted after a full day of hiking in order to meet up with a few other girls for fondue round 2: Chocolate. We ordered chocolate and fruit which consisted of banana, kiwi, melon, and apples. The kiwi was surprisingly good but the banana held on as my old favorite. We were all disappointed to not see any strawberries. Two nights of eating fondue conjured up memories of my families' Christmas Eve tradition; cheese and chocolate fondue at Grandma Aften's condo on the plaza, followed by ice skating, tons of wine and presents for all.  What's this, a hint of homesickness? I am beginning to appreciate what I have waiting for me at home, but with all of Italy, The French Riveria and Spain waiting for me, I still have much to be excited about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment